It is thought that systematic production only began after the Vickers takeover.
Between January 1897 and October 1899, an unspecified number of cars were made and sold, probably all three wheelers, with the first four wheeled car being sold in November 1899. acquired Wolseley’s car and machine tool business, and set up the Wolseley Tool and Motor Car Co. in a former cycle factory at Adderley Park in Birmingham.
The oldest surviving record ledger starts with car number 47; it indicates that orders were accepted in the autumn of 1900, but the earliest delivery date is in March 1901.
The 1910 models were known as Wolseley-Siddeleys, and from 1911 the cars were plain Wolseleys once again.
By now the company was among the leading British car makers, active also in such diverse fields as commercial vehicles, marine and aero-engines, and other engineering activities.
One of the first 4 wheeled cars, the 3.5hp Voiturette built in 1899 was awarded a Gold Medal for its performance in the Automobile Club’s 1,000 Miles Trial in 1900.
An 8hp model also took part without success; this being the first two cylinder model with wheel steering, but this car did not survive.
They had primary drive by chain to a seperately mounted gearbox, with final drive also by chain.
Their trademark was the so-called ‘bee-hive’ radiator, constructed of finned tubes which wrapped around the front end of the car.
The introduction date of the Eight had been originally fixed for September 11th, 1939.